Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Day For Love


Ah, Valentine's Day. We love Valentine's day in our house. It is sugary and pink and red and all about love. It is a fantastic holiday.

My ever-inquiring little boy, James, asked me how Valentine's day started. I told him all I know about St. Valentine. I am sure my version was a little inaccurate, but I told him there was a patron saint who spread love everywhere through his kindness and goodwill, and we celebrate Valentine's day to remember to always love those around us and treat other's kindly. I guess I could have looked up the complete story on the internet, but sometimes there is just not enough time to fully answer all the questions :). It was a good enough reason to celebrate Valentine's day, for a little boy.

When I came home from San Antonio Thursday evening, there were a dozen red roses all boxed up pretty delivered to my front porch. I also received pretty jammies, chocolates, Vanilla Raspberry Body Lotion, and... Adam made me a hard-bound book. He literally bound (like sewed) sheets of white paper together with a hardcover that he wrapped in light sage green paper on the outside and light pink paper on the inside. This is what you get when you marry an engineer. Hanging a photo on the wall involves a level, ruler, pencil, and lots of concentrated effort. He is a perfectionist, he is quiet to the point of driving me crazy, but he is rather sweet. He found out how to make a book, and had to try it. What a guy that Adam is.

We went on a date Saturday night, just me and him. We ate at Tahoe Joe's (the yummiest) and then had some creme brulee from Gisseppi's and strolled on the pier.

Normally we are brave and take our children with us out to eat, so it was a treat to be just ourselves. We actually were able to talk uninterrupted and eat the food while it was still warm...

I love my boy, I love my children, I love my family. My life has been filled with love and happiness, and I am truly grateful.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

He made you a book?! I'm jealous. I got to go to walmart on valentines day... lol We get to go out for the first time this Thursday.. alone. I don't know how i will handle being away from little mason. ha ha.

Kevin and Kristen said...

Well, how wonderful is that! You should go away for 2 weeks more often if Adam is going to be that romantic and spontaneous. I guess he thought you deserved a special night after traveling with 2 children by yourself!