Friday, May 8, 2009

I Should Say So

If you know me, then you probably know of my sincere love of Anne, that is Anne of Green Gables. This love affair started out as a girlish fancy, I am sure, but upon closer examination, I have found there is so much to be learned and gained from the writings of Ms. L.M. Montgomery, child and adult alike. She writes with such feeling and description for a situation, that you feel almost as though you really know these characters of her imagination. I know, dare I say it, that Anne is just a fictional character, created purely out of one woman's imagination? It is true. Never the less, the life-lessons, values, and heart in the writings ring true in real life. I read Anne of Green Gables when I was a young girl, but since I've been married, I have continued with all of the Anne books, and have loved each and every one. In them, Anne grows up, goes to college, works as a school teacher, marries, and has children.

Anne is a dear friend of mine, a kindred spirit, and I love the way she runs her home, how she treats those around her, her husband, and her little ones. She is full of respect for those who are deserving, and gives of her heart and self to become a real friend to others. She is real (meaning not shallow) and sees things for what they are. So... with all that being said, here are some tender quotes regarding mothers-- about her own sweet mother who died when she was a little baby, Anne's first baby girl who was born in the "house of dreams", and Gilbert's true estimation of it all. Enjoy.

"The east room was the one you were born in. I remember your ma saying she loved to see the sunrise; and I mind hearing that you was born just as the sun was rising and its light on your face was the first thing your ma saw." Anne went up the narrow stairs and into that little east room with a full heart. It was as a shrine to her. Here her mother had dreamed the exquisite, happy dreams of anticipated motherhood; here that red sunrise light had fallen over them both in the sacred hour of birth; here her mother had died. Anne looked about her reverently, her eyes dim with tears. It was for her one of the jeweled hours of life that gleam out radiantly forever in her memory.
Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery

But at dawn, when the rising sun rent apart the mists hanging over the sand-bar, and made rainbows of them, joy came to the little house. Anne was safe, and a wee, white lady, with her mother's big eyes, was lying beside her. Gilbert, his face gray and haggard from his night's agony, came down to tell Marilla and Susan...
...At sunset the little soul that had come with the dawning went away, leaving heartbreak behind it. Miss Cornelia took the wee, white lady from the kindly but stranger hands of the nurse, and dressed the tiny waxen form in the beautiful dress Leslie had made for it. Leslie had asked her to do that. Then she took it back and laid it beside the poor, broken, tear-blinded little mother...
...The next day, the small white Joy was laid in a velvet casket which Leslie had line with apple-blossoms, and taken to the graveyard of the church across the harbour.

Anne's House of Dreams L.M. Montgomery

Gilbert put his arms about them. "Oh, you mothers!" he said. "You mothers! God knew what He was about when He made you."

Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

1 comment:

Kevin and Kristen said...

What beautiful words Livy. What else can I say? I need to find time to read those books again.